Monday, January 18, 2010

How Poetry Fared

Here's how poetry titles fared in the awards this year.
Caldecott Honor Book
written by Joyce Sidman and illustrated by Pamela Zagarenski
(Cybils poetry finalist)

Coretta Scott King Honor Book for Illustrator
The Negro Speaks of Rivers
written by Langston Hughes and illustrated by E.B. Lewis

Gorgeous illustrations breathe new life into Hughes' poem. Each line of the poem is paired with a watercolor illustration that highlights water as a source of life and sorrow in the lives of black people.

Coretta Scott King Medal for Illustrator
My People
written by Langston Hughes and illustrated by Charles R. Smith

Hughes familiar poem that begins "The night is beautiful/So the faces of my people" is brilliantly illustrated in sepia-toned photos. Though only 33-words in length, the poem is brought vibrantly to life in a series of double-page spreads containing only 2 or 3 words each.

Pura Belpré Author and Illustrator Honor Book
Diego: Bigger Than Life
written by Carmen T. Bernier-Grand and illustrated by David Diaz

Pura Belpré Author Honor Book
Federico Garcia Lorca (Cuando Los Grandes Eran Pequenos/ When the Grown-Ups Were Children)
written by Georgina Lazaro and illustrated by Enrique S. Moreiro
Congratulations to the winners.

4 comments:

  1. I actually called the E.B. Lewis win, or honors win, because I couldn't imagine that such amazing illustrations would go unnoticed. I haven't seen Red Sings from the Treetops yet, but I'm glad it's a Cybils finalists.

    All in all, a satisfying award year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These three were some that got the largest cheers from me. Great to see that poetry was honored so well this year and with such amazing books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tricia,

    I absolutely loved Pamela Zagarenski's illustrations in RED SINGS FROM TREETOPS! I'm so glad she received a Caldecott Honor Award for her art in the book. Joyce Sidman's poetry was exceptional too. RED SINGS FROM TREETOPS was one of my favorite children's books of 2009.

    And I'm ecstatic that my good friend Grace Lin got a Newbery Honor Award for her book WHERE THE MOUNTAIN MEETS THE MOON.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't be happier this year! These selections are pure joy, beautifully written and illustrated. A real work of art!

    ReplyDelete