Friday, January 08, 2010

National Puzzle Month - Great Reads

January is National Puzzle Month. In our house we do a lot of jigsaw puzzles (usually one a week), but we also like logic puzzles and "thinking" games (sudoku, Mastermind, chess, etc.). As big readers we're quite fond of fiction with challenging puzzles to solve. Here are some books and/or series that will encourage readers put on their thinking caps. Also included are links to related puzzling resources.

The Puzzling World of Winston Breen by Eric Berlin - Winston sees puzzles everywhere. Imagine his dismay when he gives his sister a box for her birthday, only to learn that it has a secret compartment containing four wood sticks with puzzle clues. Readers will solve puzzles right along with Winston and his sister Katie as they try to solve the mystery. The sequel to this book, The Potato Chip Puzzles, is also highly entertaining.
The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart - Eleven year-old Reynie Muldoon is intrigued by an ad in the paper that asks “Are You a Gifted Child looking for Special Opportunities?” Reynie and dozens of other children show up to answer the ad and take a mind-boggling series of tests, but only Reynie and three others are left at the end. Puzzles and mysteries abound in this adventurous tale. Sequels include The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey and The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma.
Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliett - Petra and Calder are preoccupied with Vermeer. When a Vermeer painting is stolen in transit from the National Gallery in Washington D.C. to the Chicago Institute of Art, they become intent on finding the painting and solving the mystery. Clues and mysteries abound.
The Origami Master by Nathaniel Lachenmeyer, Lissy's Friends by Grace Lin (picture books), and Fold Me a Poem by Kristine O'Connell George (poetry) are all books about origami. Paper folding is a great visual and spatial puzzler for kids and adults. It's also fun!
Do you have a favorite book that offers something to puzzle over? If so, please share. I would love to add your ideas to this list.

14 comments:

  1. No shout-out to The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great stuff, Tricia. I LOVED puzzles of all sorts when I was a kid. I read Winston Breen in large part as a gift to my 10-year-old self.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you for sharing about National Puzzle Month -- I did not know about it. I will be pulling those books you mentioned for my kids to think about and read.

    I'm a sucker for puzzles, also!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a GREAT list of books and accompanying resources! I'm a big fan of both the MBS series and Blue Balliett's books (and the Westing Game, as one of your readers commented). Can't wait to share them with my children; the oldest has just read the first MBS and really enjoyed it.
    Now I need to find the others you suggested!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are some of my favorites too. Nice collection here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't read the first Winston Breen book, but I loved the second one. The kids won't leave it on the shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love puzzles and mysteries (but don't read enough of them) These look like great suggestions! Thanks for the recs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are huge Benedict Society fans in this house. And my 14yo has been after me to read Chasing Vermeer & others by that author.

    You've reminded me that I keep meaning to take a look at Winston Breen (so late to the party!)--thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL and yikes! I used my Typepad login for the comment above, and it has turned me into an impenetrable code! Appropriate for this post on puzzles, I suppose... ;) Well, the answer to the cipher is "Melissa Wiley." Hee.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous themed post - brava!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Genius post! So much good stuff here. Forwarding the link on to my librarian friends. These would make some great library lessons this month.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Tricia! Great ideas and we are a puzzle loving family. From actual 500 piece puzzles to our favorite COLORKU...like Sudoku, but with colored balls. It's quite the puzzle and makes your head really hurt.

    As far as books go, we're listening to Chasing Vermeer and are totally enagaged with it! Another title I would suggest it The Gollywhopper Games by Jody Feldman. That book is FILLED with puzzles and a serious brain workout. If you loved Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, it's that in a modern day setting with the puzzle feel.

    Off to get out a good puzzle!

    Happy solving-
    Lara

    ReplyDelete
  13. Also fun is Punished! by David Lubar. He addresses palindromes, anagrams and other forms of wordplay, which are often aspects of puzzles.

    I should mention also that Eric Berlin and others (including my husband) have just finished the annual MIT Mystery Hunt, a puzzling extravaganza. =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ditto to adding The Westing Game! And maybe our newest Newbery winner, When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead, which is a great puzzlebox of a book. Thanks for the super list!

    ReplyDelete