Friday, January 01, 2010

Poetry Friday - Love Poem With Toast

Today marks a new beginning--2010. Last year I marked the first poetry Friday with Tennyson, my traditional New Year's Eve read. This year I thought I'd mark the beginning of 2010 with something a little different.
Love Poem With Toast
by Miller Williams

Some of what we do, we do
to make things happen,
the alarm to wake us up, the coffee to perc,
the car to start.

The rest of what we do, we do
trying to keep something from doing something,
the skin from aging, the hoe from rusting,
the truth from getting out.

Read the poem in its entirety.
The round up is being hosted by Mary Lee at A Year of Reading. Do stop by and take in all the poetry being shared. Before you go, be sure to check out this week's poetry stretch results. Happy poetry Friday to you and a very happy new year.

4 comments:

  1. What a sweet and wise poem. Thank you for introducing me to it! Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like everything about this poem except the very last word. What's pretend got to do with the rest, which seems very grounded and real?

    Gaze across the breakfast table and BE. Or something...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do so love Miller Williams. I get what Andi's saying, I guess, but I think maybe he's saying "pretend that we're actually in control of all these things happening or not happening" when really all we CAN do is just be? This is what is just so darn great about poetry...

    ReplyDelete