Wednesday, April 22, 2020

NPM 2020 - Missing Baseball

It really doesn't feel like spring, not without baseball. We've missed the anticipation and excitement of opening day. I'm missing cheering against the Yankees. I missing attending the games of our local AA team. I missing the the clink of a bat hitting a ball and the loudspeaker echoing through the neighborhood as the UR team plays not far from my backyard. I so miss baseball.

Today's poem is a  Zeno. The  Zeno, a form invented by J. Patrick Lewis, is a 10-line verse form with a repeating syllable count of 8,4,2,1,4,2,1,4,2,1. The rhyme scheme is abcdefdghd.
Nationals Park, Washington,  DC 
September,  2016

Bottom of the ninth, need one out
wind up, fast ball,
strike one!
Crowd
roars approval.
Batter
cowed,
strikes two and three!
Fans stand
proud.

Poem ©Tricia Stohr-Hunt, 2020. All rights reserved.

That's it for today. I hope you'll join me again tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I am not a sports fan, but I just KNOW how hard this must be on all of those diehards, who, like my Dad, time the seasons by what kind of ball someone on TV is holding. This is SO hard, and I'm sorry.

    Here's to hearing "Play Ball!" again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You captured me with this one. I miss baseball sooooo much. Today I found a documentary called Knuckleball that was terrific and gave me a little baseball fix.

    ReplyDelete