Monday, April 13, 2020

NPM 2020 - Murals

I'm fascinated by murals, what they are expressing, and what they say about the artist and the place they are found. The  first time I  saw this one,  I couldn't get Yggdrasil and mythology out of my mind.
City of Rochester Public Market, Rochester, NY
July, 2019

for centuries they nailed
an owl to a barn door
to ward off evil
and lightning

but this owl
guards the dryad
living in the tree
that keeps watch
over the market

together they are
worthy sentinels
of this space where
flowers and vegetables
flourish

Poem ©Tricia Stohr-Hunt, 2020. All rights reserved.

That's it for today. I hope you'll join me again tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Nailing an owl... to a door.
    Okay, I guess that would ward off... something.
    I love murals, too - one of the coolest things about our trip to Mexico City a couple years ago was just driving around and photographing all these random murals of coolness.

    ReplyDelete