Thursday, April 23, 2020

NPM 2020 - By the River

I've mentioned more than once my love for the mountains. As I reflect on the poems I've written so  far this month, more than a few have been inspired by mountain settings. This one is no different. My sweet friend Christen took me to her family's cabin as a birthday treat two summers ago. The river just outside the front door was ice cold, but oh so refreshing.

Today's poem is written in rhyme royal, which is a seven-line stanza in iambic pentameter with the rhyme scheme a/b/a/b/b/c/c.
Conway River, Standardsville, VA
August, 2018

Such happy hours spent along this bank
two barefoot wading downstream tossing stones
with hands cupped sure we bent and scooped and drank
post hike a dip helped soothe our weary bones
a perfect day without our ringing phones
a day along the river can't be beat
but time spent with a friend is just as sweet 

Poem ©Tricia Stohr-Hunt, 2020. All rights reserved.

That's it for today. I hope you'll join me again tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you could drink that water? Without giardia? Lovely - the memory sounds as refreshing and sweet as the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I did drink the water, but I tend to throw caution to the wind. It was clear and looked clean ...

      Delete