Monday, November 06, 2006

Why Miss Rumphius

I do not IM or text message, so, as my students so frequently remind me, I am a bit behind the times. I am not interested in FaceBook or MySpace, so I have decided to make my foray into this online world in the form of a blog. So today I launch The Miss Rumphius Effect. As for the title, I selected it because I am living my life in the shadow of Miss Rumphius and trying to live by these words:
"When I grow up, I too will go to faraway places, and when I grow old, I too will live beside the sea."
That is all very well, little Alice," said her grandfather, "but there is a third thing you must do."
"What is that?" asked Alice.
You must do something to make the world more beautiful," said her grandfather.
"All right," said Alice. But she did not know what that could be.
Miss Rumphius planted lupines, but I want to do so much more. What could that be? Like young Alice, I still do not know. When I find the answer, I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment