Friday, March 30, 2007

Poetry Friday - On Reading and Books

For poetry Friday today I offer a poem and some thoughtful words about reading and books.

First, here is a poem by Emily Dickinson. You can also read it at Bartleby.
Part One: Life
XCIX
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
Second, here are some of my favorite quotes about reading.
Read not to contradict and confute; nor to believe and take for granted; nor to find talk and discourse; but to weigh and consider.
Francis Bacon

When I look back, I am so impressed again with the life-giving power of literature. If I were a young person today, trying to gain a sense of myself in the world, I would do that again by reading, just as I did when I was young.
Maya Angelou

We read to know we are not alone.
C.S. Lewis

The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr. Seuss

To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark.
Victor Hugo
Happy reading and happy poetry Friday, all!

1 comment:

  1. Great poem. I really like the CS Lewis quote.

    ReplyDelete