Thursday, March 12, 2009

How Do I Love Thee Letter D?

Julie Larios of The Drift Record participated in a challenge where she was assigned a random letter (lucky duck got the letter P) and then had to make a list of things she loved that began with that letter. Because I'm in major procrastination mode, I asked her to send me a letter. Here's my list for the letter D.
This photo comes from Leo Reynolds' photostream.

Dickinson, Emily - Probably my favorite female poet, I can't get enough of her work. I read Dickinson voraciously each fall when her words just seem to fit my favorite of seasons. Here's what she had to say about poetry.
If I read a book and it makes my whole body so cold no fire can ever warm me, I know that is poetry. If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know that is poetry. These are the only ways I know it. Is there any other way?
Downward Facing Dog - I have a love/hate relationship with yoga. At the beginning of class the instructor reminds us that we must let go of judgment and competition. As a former gymnast (for nearly 20 years), where it was all about striving for perfection, I find these are mighty hard to let go of. Even though this mindset has been hard to adopt, I do love how I feel during and after yoga. I still like being upside down and enjoy the rush of blood to my head and the stretch I get from this pose.

Doughnuts - Growing up in the north we had no Krispy Kreme. Oh sure we had doughnuts, but not like these. I was initiated when I moved to Richmond. I love going in when the "Hot" sign is lit to watch them being made. Is there anything better than a hot glazed doughnut? Or a chocolate iced cream filled? Or a raspberry jelly? Or ... oh heck, just give me a box of assorted!

Double Dutch - My idea of jump roping as a kid was seeing how many times I could sing Miss Mary Mack all the way through before getting tired or tripping. I don't recall jumping rope while others turned more than once or twice. That's probably why I watch kids double dutch today and am amazed at their athleticism, coordination and synchronization.

Darjeeling - I am a tea drinker. My favorite black tea is Darjeeling. I like it good and strong with lots of milk and just a bit of sugar.

Daisies - These flowers always make me smile. As Kathleen Kelly said in You've Got Mail, "Don't you think daisies are the friendliest flower?" I know I do!
(This photo comes from wazka=dragonfly's photostream.)

Mr. Darcy - Yes, I'm an Austen addict. I love Darcy, but I'm also fond of
Captain Wentworth, Edward Ferrars and Mr. Knightley. The point here is not Darcy but Austen, so I cheated a bit on this one.

Degas, Edgar - It wasn't the myriad of ballerinas that made me fall in love with Degas, but rather the piece Woman Ironing. It reminded me of my mother, who spent hours pressing our clothes and ironing linens. I still see her when I see this painting. I'm also quite fond of his horse paintings.
Dogs - No matter the shape, size, gender or breed, I am a dog lover. I'll even take the slobbery ones. My first dog was an Irish Setter named Tricia's Garnet, or Trig for short. Today I own a doberman/terrier mix that we rescued from the pound. She's 11 and a half and still acting like a pup.

Well, that's my quick stab at this. If you want to play, leave me a note and I'll send you a random letter.

3 comments:

  1. You were a gymnast on top of the poetry thing?!

    Is there anything you DON'T do?

    I have a love/hate with yoga. Mostly hate, I think. I have a button that says, "Yoga Kills." It makes me laugh -- generally during a downward facing dog...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woman Ironing by Degas, such a treat. How does one paint cloth one can feel! And the double dutch You Tube video was our entertainment for the day. Myself and the children watched it a couple of times. Good for them to get a glimpse of what's out there in the big, wild, world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool. What a great list. Ah, you were a gymnast--no wonder you're such a hard worker and have boundless energy. It was fun learning more about you through your list.

    May I have a letter? If it's not too late? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete