Friday, September 21, 2007

Writing Meme

Bonnie over at Words From a Wordsmith tagged me for a meme on writing. The idea is for me to describe my strengths as a writer. Okay, ugh! While it is so easy to point out all the areas in which I am deficient, it has been very difficult for me to think about what I do well. This is one of the reasons it has taken me so long to respond. I'm now done stalling and ready to write. I hope I can come up with five.
  • I am an avid reader. I do believe that this makes be a better writer. Not only do I read a lot, I read a great variety of genres. I take recommendations and always try to take some lesson away from every book I read. I read for language, for character, for time and place, for example, and most of all, for the sheer pleasure of the work.
  • I am determined/persistent/relentless. Even when I don't want to write, I write. I never go anywhere without a writer's notebook. I have a collection of journals in many sizes and have one close at hand. I even write in the middle of the night. I keep my book light, paper and a pen near the bed. When I wake up in the wee hours of the morning and words are keeping me awake, I scribble them down as fast as I can. Sometimes it's an interesting turn of a phrase or an idea for a story or project, but more often than not, it is a poem.
  • I love words. I love how they sound, how they're spelled, and the magic they make when strung together in interesting and surprising ways. I love word play. Here are two examples of the types of word play I enjoy.
    I love the work of Douglas Florian, in large part because of the way he plays with words. Here is an example from mammabilia.
    Aardvarks aare odd.
    Aardvarks aare staark.
    Aardvarks look better
    By faar in the daark.

    This second example is a quote from the series M*A*S*H where Hawkeye is set to take over as OOD.

    "I'll carry your books, I'll carry a torch, I'll carry a tune, I'll carry on, carry over, carry forward, Cary Grant, cash and carry, carry me back to Old Virginie, I'll even 'hari-kari' if you show me how, but I will not carry a gun!"
  • I am a lifelong learner. I know this phrase is tossed around a lot these days, but the truth is, I teach because it keeps me learning. I know that I am not a great writer, but I truly believe that my work will improve with practice, and that I can learn new skills. This is one of the reasons I continue to write. It's also why I started the weekly poetry stretch. I am enjoying learning about these new forms and the challenge of trying to make them work with my words and ideas.
Well, that's only four. Perhaps with some more thought I can come up with a fifth. I'm tagging my writing group buddies, Libby and Terry. If anyone else reading this wants to play along, please do write about your strengths as a writer and then post a link to your response in the comments.

5 comments:

  1. I love this!

    Aardvarks aare odd.
    Aardvarks aare staark.
    Aardvarks look better
    By faar in the daark.


    So I clicked your link and went to Amazon.com, where I clicked on "Surprise me" and got pictures ... and the first words were the very ones you quoted. Love that serendipitious click, also.

    Your number five is your sense of humor. I've taught Religions of the World at Chattanooga State for over a decade, as adjunct, and if I have a philosophy of teaching, it is that people learn better with a little humor thrown in. So I regularly provide cartoons about religion. I think you must have a streak of that yourself, like choosing that aardvark poem as your example of word play. As I said, I love it!

    Without ever having met you face to face, I'm sure you are a good teacher ... MY kind of teacher. Carry on, friend, and keep laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravery. That's your number five.

    And I love that bit from M*A*S*H. I've always wished I could talk as fast as Hawkeye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie and Sara,
    Well, you've both made my day/weekend with your kind words. Thank you ever so much.
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tricia, it took me a few days, but here's my response, finally: http://tortoiselessons.blogspot.com/2007/09/writing-meme.html

    Thanks for tagging me! It was fun to think about.

    ReplyDelete