Thursday, September 13, 2007

Best Books of 2007 (So Far) - Art

Okay, I know this isn't one of MotherReader's categories, but in thinking about her call for readers to nominate Best Books of the Year to date list, I kept coming back to art. William and I have been talking about our favorite pictures in books lately, so this seemed a natural way to examine the books of 2007. Here I present the ones I adore for outstanding illustrations.
  • Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin and Eric Carle - This is the last collaboration from this author/illustrator team. Carle's artwork is bold and bright. The skunk, the rattlesnake and the baby bear are playfully presented and among my favorites.
  • Dogs and Cats by Steve Jenkins - I've yet to meet a book by Jenkins I didn't love. The faces of these animals are simply astonishing.
  • Knuffle Bunny Too by Mo Willems - I have no doubt that MR will agree with me on this one, but regardless of her affections, this is one amazing book.
  • Mother Goose Numbers on the Loose by Leo and Diane Dillon - This newest work by the Dillons is a real beauty. How could I not love a book with numbers dancing through each spread?
  • Pssst! by Adam Rex - I couldn't stop looking at the pictures in this one. The illustrations are so different from the others on this list and amazingly creative.
Alright, I know MR said only five in any category, but I couldn't resist. How about you? What books contain your favorite illustrations for this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment