Thursday, June 04, 2009

Poetry Stretch Results - Food Poems

The challenge this week was to write a poem inspired by food. Here are the results.
Julie Larios from The Drift Record left this poem in the comments.
    Higgeldy piggledy
    Mandarin Cookery
    uses some spices,
    some garlic (and how…)
    Even when I’m in the
    Great Land of Noddery
    I am still dreaming of
    Lang's hot kung pao.
Kirby Larson from Kirby's Lane left this poem in the comments. Welcome Kirby!
    I pad
    barefoot, nightgowned
    to fill my bowl clean up
    with blueberries juicy and cool -
    breakfast!
Violet from Book Brew shares a poem entitled Making Yogurt.

Jane Yolen left this poem in the comments.
    Diet Sigh: A Haiku

    Day I eat small bits.
    Night I dream of chocolate.
    I do not lose weight.

    @2009 Jane Yolen
Elaine Magliaro of Wild Rose Reader shares a number of food poems, a few of which are about a few summer favorites, like blueberries and marshmallows (properly toasted, of course).

Greg didn't write this for the stretch this week, but the topic fits beautifully, so I'm including it here! Check out Doughnuts! Oh, Doughnuts! by Greg K. at Gotta Book.
Here is one of the poems I worked on. I couldn't seem to get sweets out of my mind, though potato chips were a very close second.
Can one word be a poem?
CHOCOLATE

How about two?
WHIPPED CREAM
Homemade, of course,
not foam sprayed from a can
or thick stuff from a tub
but heavy cream and sugar
whipped in an ice cold,
stainless steel bowl
until mountainous peaks
rise and hold
just waiting for
a finger swipe
of delicious.

Can a sound be a poem?
MMMMMMMMM...
It's not too late if you still want to play. Leave me a note about your poem and I'll add it to the list.

5 comments:

  1. Not one of my better efforts, but here it goes:

    Beethoven once said:
    “Only the pure of heart
    can make a good soup.”

    Or so read the sign
    next to my father’s desk.
    I think as I chop

    fresh thyme from the garden
    and sprinkle it in the pot
    with the vegetables.

    Is my heart pure enough?
    Is this a symphony?
    Or just an etude?

    I slip in a spoon
    and think, purity’s fine
    but wine is better.

    Another stir and
    it’s time for a large bowl
    with a glass of red.

    I toast my father,
    and Beethoven and thyme
    and devour it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love all these! Best poetry stretch idea ever :) . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tricia,

    I wrote/rewrote four poems for your Poetry Stretch this week. I posted them at Wild Rose Reader.

    http://wildrosereader.blogspot.com/2009/06/poetry-stretch-food-poems.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S.

    I enjoyed reading all the food poems posted here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked reading these poems as well. Especially enjoyed the wine.

    ReplyDelete