Friday, June 26, 2009

Poetry Friday - Sunflower

Now that summer is really and truly here, I've been wandering through some local gardens and enjoying my favorite summer blooms. One is the sunflower.
Sunflower
by Frank Steele

You’re expected to see
only the top, where sky
scrambles bloom, and not
the spindly leg, hairy, fending off
tall, green darkness beneath.

Read the entire poem.
The round up is being hosted by Kelly Herold at Crossover. Do stop by and take in all the great poetry being shared this week. Before you go, be sure to check out this week's poetry stretch results. Happy poetry Friday all.

4 comments:

  1. MMmmm. Nice! I like thinking about the long climb, and the view from the top (always noon)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I just fell in love with that poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "the dream she keeps lifting" YES!

    Thanks for sharing this poem with me. I realized I have a packet of sunflower seeds that I forgot to plant this spring. Oh tragedy! I wonder if it is too late in the season?

    ReplyDelete