Monday, February 09, 2009

On Buying/Reading Children's Books at Any Age

In today's Christian Science Monitor is an article by Jayne Hanlin entitled Books for 'children of all ages'. It begins:

My friend and I are both retired elementary school teachers, so my recent purchase surprised her.

"You mean you bought a children's book for yourself?" she asked. "I have started getting rid of mine by giving them to my grandchildren."

But I am not ready to part with mine quite yet. My library of children's books represents an integral part of me, transporting me back to the days of my own childhood as well as those of my sons and grandchildren. I indulge myself by reliving experiences as I read these books through the years. And I long to add more memories.
It's a lovely piece. Do take some time to read it in its entirety.

No comments:

Post a Comment