Friday, September 12, 2008

ARCs Available

My TBR pile is huge right now. There are many great looking books on it that I simply must read. Publishers have been more than generous in sending me works to review, but lately, I'm getting a lot of books that are well outside of my area of interest/expertise.

If you regularly read my blog, you know that I generally review nonfiction and poetry for young readers through middle grades. Every so often I will review picture books that have strong connections to the teaching of math, science or social studies. As a reminder of this, I have highlighted my review policy and moved it up in the sidebar to a more prominent position.

This is my way of saying that I love receiving books to review, finding outstanding works by new and seasoned authors, and sharing those finds with my readers. However, I have a bit of a guilty conscience about all the books I'm not reviewing. I know that authors work very hard to write the best books possible, and they deserve to be reviewed. Since I will never get to some of these books, I would like to send my copies to readers who would like to review them.

Here are the first two.
Need by Carrie Jones - TAKEN!
Zara collects phobias the way other high school girls collect lipsticks. Little wonder, since life’s been pretty rough so far. Her father left, her stepfather just died, and her mother’s pretty much checked out. Now Zara’s living with her grandmother in sleepy, cold Maine so that she stays “safe.” Zara doesn’t think she’s in danger; she thinks her mother can’t deal.

Wrong. Turns out that guy she sees everywhere, the one leaving trails of gold glitter, isn’t a figment of her imagination. He’s a pixie—and not the cute, lovable kind with wings. He’s the kind who has dreadful, uncontrollable needs. And he’s trailing Zara.

My Fair Godmother by Janette Rallison - TAKEN!
After her boyfriend dumps her for her older sister, sophomore Savannah Delano wishes she could find a true prince to take her to the prom. Enter Chrissy (Chrysanthemum) Everstar: Savannah’s gum-chewing, cell phone–carrying, high heel-wearing Fair Godmother. Showing why she’s only Fair—because she’s not a very good fairy student—Chrissy mistakenly sends Savannah back in time to the Middle Ages, first as Cinderella, then as Snow White. Finally she sends Tristan, a boy in Savannah’s class, back instead to turn him into her prom-worthy prince. When Savannah returns to the Middle Ages to save Tristan, they must team up to defeat a troll, a dragon, and the mysterious and undeniably sexy Black Knight.
These will be available on a first-come, first-served basis. Please send me an e-mail and let me know which book you are interested in. All books will be mailed this weekend. Good luck! (And thanks for your help.)

More ARCs to come ...

3 comments:

  1. Both of those sound amusing -- but don't you just hate it that they send you things that aren't your forte? We constantly get picture book requests.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They DO sound like fun, as do many of the others I get. The frustrating part of this is that a lot of books just show up in my mailbox. I do review all the books I request, but I can't possibly keep up with the rest. I am getting lots of review requests now for YA. Perhaps I'll start sending these people to your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same problem. I have WAY too many ARCs and not enough time to read them. Plus a few don't seem as interesting to me as I though they once were. However I can't afford to ship books to others to review.

    ReplyDelete