Monday, September 08, 2008

Monday Poetry Stretch - Ordinary Things

I am rereading Valerie Worth's book All the Small Poems and Fourteen More. I'm amazed and inspired by the way Worth was able to capture the essence of the everyday. Here's an example.
cow

The cow
Coming
Across the grass
Moves
Like a mountain
Toward us;
Her hipbones
Jut
Like sharp
Peaks
Of Stone,
Her hoofs
Thump
Like dropped
Rocks:
Almost
Too late
She stops.
I grew up near a dairy farm and spent lots of time in the fields with the cows. Her observation of their hip bones is so spot on. I love it.

Since I'm thinking about everyday things, the challenge this week is to take something familiar and write about the ordinary in an extraordinary way. Leave me a note about your poem and I'll post the results here later this week.

1 comment:

  1. Here's mine:

    http://craftygreenpoet.blogspot.com/2008/09/ordinary-yellow-weeds.html

    ReplyDelete