Monday, September 01, 2008

Monday Poetry Stretch is BACK!

August flew by with many hours spent writing for work and few spent writing for myself. Now that the students are back and the semester is moving into week two, I need to get back on track with my writing. I hope you'll join me for the stretches ahead.

This week's stretch comes from The Practice of Poetry: Writing Exercises From Poets Who Teach. This exercise was contributed by Rita Dove and is called Ten-Minute Spill.
Write a ten-line poem. The poem must include a proverb, adage, or familiar phrase that you have changed in some way, as well as five of the following words:
  • cliff
  • needle
  • voice
  • whir
  • blackberry
  • cloud
  • mother
  • lick
You can ignore the ten-minute part of the title unless you really want to stretch yourself. So, what kind of poem will you write? Leave me a note when you've finished and I'll post the results here later this week.

2 comments:

  1. It's nice to be stretched again. Here's my response:

    time

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't been by here in a while, but these words make me think of hiking in the Panamint range.

    ReplyDelete