Saturday, April 18, 2020

NPM 2020 - Desert Cactus

After many years of teaching about desert ecosystems and the adaptations of the plants and animals that live there, I finally get to experience the wonder and beauty of the desert for myself.
Prickly Pear at the Desert Botanical Gardens, Phoenix, AZ
February 2020

Who knew there was so much beauty
in a humble prickly pear?
The colors beg you draw nearer,
while the spines warn you away.
Live a little!
It's worth the sharp sting
to taste the sweet and tart.

Poem ©Tricia Stohr-Hunt, 2020. All rights reserved.

That's it for today. I hope you'll join me again tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. The demonstration garden across town has these, and last summer was the first time I was close enough to ripe ones to take them off the plant! I resisted, however, lacking the heavy gloves required. This year's goal, however, is to taste the fruit!

    ReplyDelete