Friday, October 26, 2007

Nonfiction Picture Books - Nominations Please!

The books are trickling in, and the nonfiction picture book panel is gearing up for the hard work ahead. Here are the books that have been nominated so far.
There is no doubt that there are many outstanding books on this list. However, there are still many wonderful books out there that have NOT been nominated. I spent the better part of the last two days combing through the shelves of booksellers, from large chains to small independents. Here are a few of the titles I own or have recently read that are missing from this amazing list.
You will note that two widely discussed books are missing from both these lists. One is Tracking Trash: Flotsam, Jetsam, and the Science of Ocean Motion by Loree Griffin Burns and The Wall: Growing Up Behind the Iron Curtain by Peter Sis. Fear not! Both have been nominated in the middle grade and young adult category for nonfiction.

Since I'm on the nominating panel that will selecting the finalists in this category, I don't feel comfortable adding a title to the list. So, if you haven't nominated a book yet for the nonfiction picture book category, won't you please look over the lists on this page and think about what worthy titles may have been missed? Then, head on over to the Cybils blog and make your nomination.

3 comments:

  1. Would you be able to have some of the folks post to my fourth Picture Book Carnival about non-fiction picture books that can be used as mentor texts? THANKS Tricia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for doing this! I already nominated to Non-fiction Picture Books, and I am interested to see them listed like this. I wish others would do a similar list for all the catagories. Maybe I ought to put some time into it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, this is ONE way to maybe get folks to nominate the ones you think need to be on the list! You clever devil, you!

    ReplyDelete