Monday, August 27, 2007

Monday Poetry Stretch - List Poem

I read Leaves of Grass in college and fell in love with Whitman. In much of this work, Whitman uses lists. Since I've been re-reading some of these poems, list poems have been on my mind. Therefore, today's poetry stretch takes the form of the list poem.
A list poem can take many forms. It could be a list of:
  • things or events
  • a person's traits or qualities (also called a blazon)
  • a series of events or activities
List poems can any length, rhymed or unrhymed.
(Adapted from The Teachers & Writers Handbook of Poetic Forms.)

Bruce Lansky has some ideas for encouraging kids to write list poems. You can try writing an instant list poem or read these instructive notes. However, the best example I've read lately is the amazing piece by Sara Lewis Holmes entitled 39 Reasons to Write.

Here is the list poem I wrote this morning.
The Chorus of Dawn
It begins with the
TAP, TAP, TAP
of the woodpecker raising
the conductor's baton and
calling all to life.

Next comes the
RUSTLE, RUSTLE, RUSTLE
of the leaves,
as scurrying squirrels begin
their daily quest for food.

They are joined by the
WHISTLE, WHISTLE, WHISTLE
of myriad songbirds
calling for a mate.

The sound crescendos
but is broken by the noisy
BARK, BARK, BARK
of the neighborhood dogs,
calling out to one another.

Silence again.

The calm is broken by the
SHUSH, SHUSH, SHUSH
of the wind through the trees,
ushering in a new kind of music.

It is followed by the
PLOP, PLOP, PLOP
of the cooling rain,
bringing water to the
thirsty ground.

I can hear the flowers
SIGH, SIGH, SIGH
and
SLURP, SLURP, SLURP
as they drink until full.

I open my eyes to a new day,
already revealed in
morning song.
So, do you want to play? What kind of list poem will you write? Post your creation(s) on your blog and then leave a link in the comments. Once we have some poems, I'll link them all here.

9 comments:

  1. Tricia,

    I was hoping to post a list poem I've been working on for Poetry Friday. That will happen if I can tweak it to make it better. By the way, I am still working on last Monday's Poetry Stretch. I don't think my lunes are quite ready to post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elaine,
    I can't wait to read your lunes. I'm a bit nervous about posting so many first drafts and unpolished poems online, but I'm hoping they will encourage others to write.
    I'll look forward to Friday and the opportunity to read your list poem!
    Regards,
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, T -- I played along :)

    if you need the link, here it is:
    http://heather-20sgoingonspinsterwithcats.blogspot.com/2007/08/poetry-monday-let-me-hug-you.html

    happy first week of classes! (right?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tricia, I posted my list poem (untitled) on my writing blog, here: http://wordsfromawordsmith.blogspot.com/2007/08/bonnies-untitled-poem.html

    The photo was found online; it is not one I took myself, but it seemed to fit the mood. I've never tried this kind of poem before.

    I especially love your image of an orchestra tuning up in your poem, with the woodpecker as conductor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, Tricia, and thanks for the nice words about my list poem. There I was on Monday, all set to stretch with you, only to find out I'd already done it! But considering that I haven't tried a lune yet, I'd better not rest on my laurels too long...

    We used to have a woodpecker wake us up at 5:00 a.m. every morning. I love your image of the conductor...my images of him were much less charitable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sara and Bonnie,
    Thanks for your kind words. I so hate posting these first drafts. The need so much work! It's nice to know that some of the imagery hits home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK I am in this week! My list poem is my to to list for the last week of summer vacation. Here's the link.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've enjoyed both of your poems, Tricia. I've gotten started but I'm not ready to post yet. I will eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I dig your poetry. If you're interested here's my response:
    http://littlecoolshallows.blogspot.com/2007/08/comm-ment.html

    ReplyDelete