Thursday, April 24, 2008

Clementine's Advice on Writing

I am working on a manuscript on science and poetry for the magazine Science and Children. In it, I argue that "doing" science and writing poetry are more alike than different, as both require a healthy sense of curiosity and skills in the art of observation. I had been struggling to find a good (interesting?) way to say this, when I was struck by lightning while William and I were reading Clementine by Sara Pennypacker. Here's what Clementine has to say about writing (pp. 40-41).
My dad says I am excellent at noticing interesting things. In fact, he says if noticing interesting things were a sport, I would have a neckful of gold medals. He says that's a Very Good Sign for My Future. He says I could be a detective, of course, but that noticing things is good for any career.

My mom says that means I could be a good artist, too.

Or a writer. Last year a writer came to my school and said, Pay Attention! But she didn't mean to the teacher, she meant pay attention to what's going on around you, so you can write about it. Then she looked exactly at me and said to notice the good stuff and write it down so you don't forget it.
EXACTLY. Now that's good advice.

1 comment:

  1. That's great advice from Clementine! I remember that part of the book.

    ReplyDelete