Monday, August 17, 2020

#MTBoSBLaugust - Race for a Flat

I think every elementary teacher has played Race for a Flat, that game where students learn to regroup and exchange 10 ones for 1 ten, and 10 tens for 1 hundred, or a flat.

In the past, my students played on a legal-sized place value mat that looked like this.

Some of my students had difficulty with this, so I created this mat for them to use instead. 

The blocks on this mat are composed of centimeter squares, so base-ten blocks fit perfectly. For whatever reason, students found it easier to make trades from ones to tens with the blocks in this format, which surprised me because we tried hard to get them to use ten frames to visualize numbers.

If you want to use this new Race for a Flat mat with your students, you can download a PDF version.
If you want to try the more traditional place value mat, you can download a PDF version of that as well.

That's it for day 17 of #MTBoSBlaugust. I hope you'll come back tomorrow to see what else I have to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment