Friday, June 19, 2009

Poetry Friday - This Morning in a Morning Voice

I get a great deal of poetry in my mailbox, which is always a lovely treat each morning. These are the e-mails I save for last, savoring each one. I get messages from Daily Lit, where I've read volumes by Walt Whitman and Paul Laurence Dunbar in daily installments. During April, May and June I received daily poems from the American Academy of Poets Poem-A-Day service. There are also the poems I receive every so often through my e-mail subscription to Gotta Book.

In addition to these delights in my inbox, I am always thrilled to receive the latest column from American Life in Poetry. A project of Ted Kooser's, American Life in Poetry is dedicated solely to promoting poetry. It does this by providing newspapers and online publications with a FREE weekly column featuring contemporary American poems.

My poem this week from that column and is dedicated to father's everywhere.
This Morning in a Morning Voice
by Todd Boss

to beat the froggiest
of morning voices,
my son gets out of bed
and takes a lumpish song
along--a little lyric

Read the entire poem. When you follow this link you'll also be able to hear Boss read his poem.
The round up is being hosted by Carol at Carol's Corner. Do stop by and take in all the great poetry being shared this week. Before you go, be sure to check out this week's poetry stretch results. Happy poetry Friday all!

4 comments:

  1. A perfect pick for Father's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed this. Thanks for posting this work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tricia, that is perfect. So beautiful. Thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get ALP in my inbox too, and I immediately clipped this one to my poetry file. I just love it.

    ReplyDelete