Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Fireworks and Poetry

As part of the preparation for my upcoming trip, I have been studying in great depth the content of the elementary curriculum standards related to teaching about China. My goal is to learn more about these specific topics while in China so that I can develop some useful instructional resources for teachers. One of these curriculum standards requires students to look at inventions that came from ancient China, including kites, silk cloth, the compass, bronze, and fireworks.

Lately I have been reviewing sources on the history of fireworks. It is largely believed that the creation of gunpowder occurred by chance nearly 2,000 years ago in China. Some sources state that gunpowder was discovered when a cook accidentally mixed three common kitchen ingredients-charcoal, sulfur and sodium nitrate. Other sources claim that gunpowder was invented by scientists. Although the earliest written records of gunpowder in China occurs around 300 AD, it wasn't until the rule of the Tang Dynasty (618-907 AD) that gunpowder saw regular use. During this time, Emperors used gunpowder to put on great fireworks displays.

Will this be the same information I get while in China? I don't know, but I am anxious to find out. We will be visiting several museums and I will be interested to see how far back the use of fireworks and/or gunpowder appears in works of art.

While fireworks have been much on my mind lately, I have written a cinquain about them. Enjoy!
Starburst
colors galore
dancing before the sky
launched heavenward to fall again
KABOOM!

No comments:

Post a Comment