Friday, April 18, 2014

Poetry Friday - By Messenger

I've shared poems by Amy Lowell before. This poem was first published in 1919 in a volume entitled Pictures of the Floating World. It is one of my favorite poems of all time.
By Messenger
by Amy Lowell 
One night
When there was a clear moon,
I sat down
To write a poem
About maple-trees.
But the dazzle of moonlight
In the ink
Blinded me,
And I could only write
What I remembered.
Therefore, on the wrapping of my poem
I have inscribed your name.
This poem and the book it was published in are in the public domain and have been digitized and made available by Google. You can read the entire volume simply by downloading a copy.


Do check out all the wonderful poetic things being shared and collected today by Robyn Hood Black at Life on the Deckle Edge. Happy poetry Friday friends.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing that this book is available online, Tricia. The poem is beautiful, I agree. The moon always brings the magic, and now a love poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite poems, Tricia, with its dazzle of moonlight - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete