Friday, November 06, 2009

Poetry Friday - Gabardine

I read this one and couldn't help but think of my Dad, the men who sit in the park, and those who gather daily for coffee and conversation at the local pharmacy lunch counter.
Gabardine
by Ted Kooser

To sit in sunlight with other old men,
none with his legs crossed, our feet in loose shoes
hot and flat on the earth, hands curled in our laps

Read the poem in it's entirety.
The round up is being hosted by Elaine at Wild Rose Reader. Do stop by and take in all the great poetry being shared this week. Happy poetry Friday all!

4 comments:

  1. I love the image of these men's hands as pigeons flying about them as they get jazzed up on a topic. Love Kooser's simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loose shoes...yes. But I'm afraid that in the picture in my mind, their legs ARE crossed (probably because my dad's would have been) in that loose way that skinny legs can be crossed and the top foot still almost can sit flat on the ground...

    Thanks for bringing my dad to mind. We need him right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tricia,

    Kooser is one of my favorite poets. Don't have time to say much more. I've decided I'll do the Poetry Friday Roundup since I can't find out where it is. Send folks to Wild Rose Reader.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "like birds that now and then
    fly up with our words and settle again in a slightly different way" I love this line Thanks for a wonderful poetry treat today. Just ordered a Ted Kooser book this AM.

    ReplyDelete