Monday, November 24, 2008

Monday Poetry Stretch - Lunes

Back in August of 2007 we first attempted writing in the form of the lune. It's been more than year, so I thought this might be a good time to revisit it. The lune is a haiku variation, invented and named by the poet Robert Kelly. The poem is called a lune because the right edge is bowed like a crescent moon. This is a thirteen syllable form arranged in three lines of 5/3/5 syllables.

So, do you want to play? What kind of lune will you write? Leave me a comment about your poem(s) and I'll post the results here later this week.

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Tricia - I've posted my lune (Question, Answer) over at
    The Drift Record" [We'll see if I've learned my lesson about how to link to my site! Thanks all who helped....]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will try this. I am still working on the list poem in my head. But how fun, a new haiku form.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Early this morning, lying in the dark and listening to my young son breath without coughing and gasping for breath, I was thinking about your lunes:

    the rise of his breath
    in the dark;
    nothing but shush

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry, that last line should be:

    nothing but shushing

    ReplyDelete
  5. and from Nancy Bo Flood, her first attempt at lune:

    Desert's Winter Dress

    Shoulders of Red Rock
    Wait in white
    Momentary Lace

    ReplyDelete