Friday, November 28, 2008

Poetry Friday - Thanks

I'm still basking in the warmth of Thanksgiving, so today I'm sharing thoughts about gratefulness.
Thanks
by W. S. Merwin

Listen
with the night falling we are saying thank you
we are stopping on the bridges to bow from the railings
we are running out of the glass rooms
with our mouths full of food to look at the sky
and say thank you

Read the rest.
If you want to read more like this, Poets.org has a wealth of lovely Thanksgiving poetry.

The round up this week is being hosted by Lisa Chellman at Under the Covers. Do stop by and take in all the great pieces being shared this week. Before you go, be sure to check out this week's poetry stretch results. Happy poetry Friday, all!

3 comments:

  1. This poem made me think of Jane Kenyon's "Let Evening Come." Some similar themes in the two poems, but the points of view are so different. Kenyon asserts, "God does not leave us comfortless."

    Merwin says no one is listening to our thanks. Our gratitude is a form of self-comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love Merwin's poetry; all of it that I have read has always had the effect of both sadness and rightness, and of stopping me where I stand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good reminder to give thanks, "Dark though it is."

    ReplyDelete