Monday, April 11, 2022

NPM 2022 - Poem 11

Today's poem is written to a photograph of my mother and her 4 brothers, taken May 18, 1944, when she was 15. (Mom was born in July of 1929.)

This poem is a dodoitsu, a 4-line poem with a syllable count of 7-7-7-5. The dodoitsu "often focuses on love or work with a comical twist." I know that technically they're not supposed to rhyme, but I couldn't help myself with this one. The post What is a Dodoitsu? contains more information about this Japanese form.

I hope you'll come back tomorrow and see what new inspiration I've found for a poem. Until then, you may want to read previous poems in this series. I'm also sharing these poems on my Instagram in case you want to see them all in one place. 

April 1 - Senryu to a photo of my grandmother as a child
April 2 - Haiku to my mother's recipe
April 3 - Dodoitsu to a war memento
April 4 - Choka to my mother's engagement announcement
April 5 - Gogyohka to the receipt for my mother's engagement ring
April 6 - Senryu to a student's drawing of my dad
April 7 - Tanka to a photo of my grandmother and her mother by a car
April 8 - Dodoitsu to a piece of V-mail from my great uncle 
April 9 - Senryu to a Christmas card from Paris during the war (1944)
April 10 - Somonka to a war letter to my father

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Just look at that grown-up 15 year old, looking patient and resigned--and pleased. Love the rhyme you slipped into this one.

    ReplyDelete