Friday, April 17, 2009

Poetry Stretch Results - Behind the Museum Door

The challenge this week was to write about something found "behind the museum door." Here are the results.
Jane Yolen left this poem in the comments.
    Shrunken Heads in the Museum of Natural History

    Such little minds.
    Oh, not the ones
    In the display cabinets,
    But the ones who hide
    These gems away.
    I used to spend hours as a child
    Gazing into the glassy eyes,
    Contemplating the sewn-together lips.
    “Tell me your stories. . .”
    I whispered to them,
    Till the tales thrilled through me
    Like cold water streams
    Over a warm body,
    My body, my head, my mind.

    @2009 Jane Yolen
Andy at Life Allegorical left this poem.
    Statue Garden

    Stone is barely still
    Dancing when I turn away
    I spin to catch them
Lisa Chellman at under the covers shares a poem entitled Guernica Burns.

Julie Larios at The Drift Record gives us a poem called Woman With a Parasol. In the post she talks about her favorite museum, the Cluny. Keep reading through to the comments, where you'll find 5 linked haikus and then some by Jane Yolen.

Elaine Magliaro at Wild Rose Reader left this poem in the comments.
    Old Bison,
    Once you traveled in a mighty herd
    Of migratory beasts.
    Furry master of the plains,
    You thundered over the ground,
    Kicking prairie dust into brown clouds.

    I can still see you
    Shaking your shaggy mane...
    Hear the music of your hooves
    Beating across the open land.
    Long ago you ran wild and free,
    Tahtanka.
    Now you remain a prisoner here
    Forever caged in glass.
Carol at Carol's Corner shares a poem entitled Fascination.

Harriet at spynotes shares a poem entitled Icarus (in a gallery).

Jone at Deo Writer gives us the poem Behind the Museum Door.
My poem this week is about Sue, the T. Rex at the Field Museum in Chicago. It's called On Seeing Sue.

It's not too late if you still want to play. Leave me a note about your poem and I'll add it to the list.

2 comments:

  1. Here is mine: http://deowriter.wordpress.com/2009/04/17/napowrimo-behind-the-museum-door/
    Thanks, Tricia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed these poems enormously. I think this stretch was a winner, Tricia. Many people trying new things or finding old fvorites.

    Oh--and I left a Cluny Museum vaulting poem in Julie's comments today. Too late for your round up, but thought I would mention it.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete